Mitten Swap Part One

On a cold and snowy day in February I was sucking down my coffee and strolling through my twitter feed when I saw all this chatter about color work mittens between a few twitterers.... all of sudden I somehow signed myself up for my first ever swap.  This swap represented a great challenge for me as I had never knit a colorwork mitten before!  Then it got scary... I had been assigned to knit for Torirot, a knitter from Norway, in my mind, the home of the colorwork mitten, AND another amazing knitter from Norway, OsloAnn, would be knitting for me.... oh my!

I began trolling the internet and Ravelry for mittens and patterns I loved.  When I stumbled along these I knew I hit a chord.  Then it was time to go yarn shopping at Knitting Etc. I've always had a passion for Crazy Zauberball, and hadn't come up with an excuse to buy any yet and when I saw a red/orange/gold ball I was SOLD.  Knitting Etc has an excellent selection of Jamieson's and I spent a fair amount of time playing with colors until I fell in love with some purple.  When I got home, I read again about Torirot's desires, and saw she had red and purple at the TOP of her color choices, PERFECTO!
  
Maya Mittens 
Somewhere in all of that I decided there was no way I could not design the mittens, and since I had Belize on the brain, Maya Mittens were conceived. 

Maya Mittens 
Wee Mayan temples surround the palm, with a sun motif emblazoned on the back of each hand.  Parts of these mittens were challenging as there were many places that the floats were more than 5 stitches long, so a fair amount of "catching" of floats had to be worked. 

Maya Mittens  
I just have to decide if I am going to write this pattern up or not, they are so different than my typical designs, but I LOVE them!

I'll be back tomorrow with Part II of this post where I share with you want OsloAnn made for me : )!

Comments

  1. I love them, they're gorgeous! Just a pity spring is here...
    You should absolutely make a pattern, I'm sure a lot of people would like to knit a pair (including me).
    But on the other hand, if you don't, I will be the owner of a very exclusive pair of mittens! (And to hear it's your first colourwork mitten ever - wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are so beautiful! You should definitely put the pattern up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely knit purl girl sent me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pattern and colours and yes you should write the pattern up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic mittens! What a clever use of the crazy zauberball.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment