Introducing Skywalker

Meet Skywalker, my latest shawl design.
Skywalker
Skywalker is a semi-circular shawl, worked from the top down beginning with a garter tab. Increase rows separate each lace stitch section, creating a shape that is loosely based on Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Pi-Shawl formula.  The shawl is designed to use one 400 yard skein of SPECIAL yarn!
Skywalker
Skywalker was a suprisingly challenging design for me... it is the first of two designs I did for my first class with Craftsy and I wanted to design a beginning to intermediate lace shawl that started out simply, and got more challenging as you knit on.... but not too challenging! It turns out most lace patterns I am drawn to are quite complex and I kept having to rip out and rethink the patterns to keep slowly building skills without being overwhelming. The result? A super fun simple lace knit with a few complex stitches thrown in towards the bottom to keep the knitting interesting!

But, of course you want to hear about the yarns I used, don't you? I LOVED both of these yarns equally! I got them both earlier this year at the Loopy Ewe Spring Fling and jumped at the chance to design with them RIGHT AWAY.
Skywalker 
The pink is Sweet Georiga Yarns Cash Silk Lace in China Doll, this yarn holds a special place in my heart, in fact, I am using it in October's Adorn design I love it so!  
 Skywalker
The blue version is String Theory's Bluestocking in Didgeridoo.  The dye job on this skein of yarn is amazing, at first glance it looks denim blue, but upon closer inspection it in fact has every color of the rainbow on it.   I believe Kirsten even got the same skein of Bluestocking I did... and I can't wait to see what she does with it!

Tomorrow I'll be releasing Clarus, the second design I did for my Craftsy class... and then Saturday it's time for A GIVEAWAY!  Come on back!

Comments

  1. Stephanie CampanellaAugust 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

    Is this two sided lace or do we get the break of purling on the wrong side that a lot of lace designers provide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! All the wrong side rows are "break" rows... either with purling or knitting!

    Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous design Laura! Now that I've seen just how beautifully that String Theory Bluestocking knits up I am even more eager to get a chance to create something with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have signed up for your lace knitting class and want to use the String Theory Blue Stocking Didgeridoo yarn. I cannot find it in stock on any web site. Any suggestions? If it continues to be unavailable, is there another yarn that you would suggest for Skywalker? I love the look of the Didgeridoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    I would try calling String Theory... I am sure they can give you an idea of when it will be back in stock! They are absolutely lovely women and I'm sure would be happy to get you your yarn : )! http://www.stringtheoryyarn.com/help.php?section=about

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment