Traveling to Atlanta!

Well I'm fixin' to tell y'all about my whirlwind weekend down South teaching some of Atlanta's lovely knitters about knitting with beads! 
One of my students taught me how to talk Atlanta style... did I say it right Carol?


I flew down Thursday morning and spoke to the Clicks and Sticks Knitting Guild about my designs, history, and process... I was asked some really insightful thought provoking questions and it ended up being one of the best talks I have ever given.  I do love me some smart knitters!  (of course I don't have photos of this as my phone was tired!)  The president Karen, coordinator Carol, and were incredibly well organized and relaxed and my whole visit with them was flawless.

On Friday I taught my Beading 101 class in the morning to a room full of eager knitters, and then in the afternoon taught a more advanced class on the ins and out of knitting Spumante
A little peak of class (thanks Karen for being the official photographer!)
I fell in love with Allison's Nupps... she was using Malabrigo Sock in Indecieta to swatch with and I ADORE how each Nupp took on a different color.  I think I'll have to play with this some more one day soon!
Every time I teach to a guild I want to move to their area to get to  know and knit with the members more... Clicks and Sticks is no exception, and if the Atlanta traffic wasn't sooooo hellacious I might even think about it!

Then it was time to be shuttled across town to teach a Friday night class on Mudra Cuffs at Lovin' Knit!  I taught at Lovin' Knit the year before and adore it's owner Pat (and her pup Addi) it was a joy to go back!
Don't you love Lovin' Knits yarn bombed bicycle?
Before class started I was visited by Janiegirl96 who had her finished Trapeze Mystery KAL to show me... Pat made us pose for a shot, didn't her's come out great?
Then it was time for class...
Mudra Cuff late night partay!
The next day I taught a brand-new workshop and LOVED every minute of it..... 6 students and I deconstructed each stitch in Skywalker and figured how to add beads to them.  We had quite the adventurous 6 hours of knitting, and all of us (including me) learned more than one new skill.  I was SO busy teaching and swatching in the class that I got no pictures.  In my mind that's a sign of a class gone well.

A huge thankyou to Pat and Clicks and Sticks for bringing me down south for the weekend!  What fun! 

Comments

  1. Laura,
    We at Clicks and Sticks Knitting Guild are so appreciative that you worked us into your schedule. I have attended many classes over the years from fiber conventions and shops. However, I don’t know that I have ever learned so much from one instructor. You are truly inspiring, teaching not only techniques, but also design process. And, what I can only think of as the gift of knitting courage. When I left I felt encouraged to branch out and swatch and play with beads and find ways to add beads into my own knitting.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura…it is always a pleasure to have you at Lovin’Knit!
    You are so creative and a wonderful instructor. You will always have fans here at the shop. We are excited to post completed “Nelkin designs” and look forward to many successful years of trying out your creations. Come back soon!
    Pat and Staff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, It was truly a pleasure not only working with you but taking your classes. I learned a lot about beads - more than I ever thought. Also what a difference it can make in my knitting especially lace. You have given me the courage to experiment more with beads - and the right beads and yarn to go with them. Your presentation of the design process was awesome. I look forward to future classes with you in person and even some of the virtual ones you talked about in your workshop.

    Thanks for everything!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,
    I loved meeting you and learned so much in our Skywalker Shawl class. I've nearly finished my shawl !!! YEA! and fondly remember what fun we had with you doing the math (for the beads) and that great lunch that Pat made!! I hope you'll come back down south again soon. Thanks, Clarisse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment